Tuesday 4 June 2013

The First Ever Recorded Sound



Very few things on the internet has me in tears with laughter (David Thorne's emails are among these few things) but this recording (Circa 1860) has always cracked me up. It has been doing the rounds on the inter-web for about 5 years or so, after it became popular due to a news reporters inability to finish her report without laughing once the clip was played.  After nearly half a decade I have returned to the clip. I'm glad the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune in life have not dulled my senses to realise that this is a deceptively brilliant comedic masterpiece (listen to it on repeat about 3 or 4 times and you will start to smile/laugh). 

The comedy of the clip has now been amplified by the comments from Youtube users. Every now and then the masses throw out words on the interconnected web that makes you feel glad to be part of the global community. Here are a selection of comments that made my late night insomnia tolerable:


- "Thumbs up if your still listening to this in 2013!"

- "autotuned obviously"

- "I'm only 12...all my friends like Justin Bieber but this is real music"

- "I never knew dubstep was this old."

- "He should get a better mic."

- "suprised nobody has sampled it ....yet."

- "#1 hit single of 1860 - Édouard-Léon Scott de Martinville - My creepy sound recording"

- "i thought it would be a fart."

- "The ghost on this recording will come for you tonight while you sleep"

- "it may need a little auto tuning."

- "where's the drop"

- "My asshole brother repeatedly played this in my closet in my room at 3am. I'm still scared."


No comments:

Post a Comment